Saturday, July 30, 2011

Your Dog May Be Your Best Personal Trainer

Suture for a Living

Earlier this week there was an article in the NY Times by Tara Parker-Pope?? –Forget the Treadmill. Get a Dog. — which states in a more elegant way what I have been saying for years now.


a?|a?|Several studies now show that dogs can be powerful motivators to get people moving. a?|..


Just last week, researchers from Michigan State University reported that among dog owners who took their pets for regular walks, 60 percent met federal criteria for regular moderate or vigorous exercise. a?|a?|.


A study of 41,500 California residents also looked at walking among dog and cat owners as well as those who didna??t have pets. Dog owners were about 60 percent more likely to walk for leisure than people who owned a cat or no pet at all. a?|a?|..


I have called my dog Rusty my personal trainer.?? He never lets me off the hook.?? We walk daily regardless of the weather (hot, cold, rain, snow).


I also use a pedometer to remind me to get up and move more.?? It it a nice device to motivate me to not sit (& blog, read, knit, quilt) too much.


Herea??s a replay of my tribute to Rusty, My Personal Trainer (January 2010):


a??Five more minutes,a?? I tell him as he nimbly places his paws on my knees, brown eyes imploring.


a??Okay, you win.a??


Orange ball cap on my head, gloved hands grab the leash.


We exit the gate, the January sun cold as we jog toward the neighbors woods.


Will there be ducks on the pond today?




                        s

No comments:

Post a Comment